The Great Gatsby takes place in the 1920's in a part of New York known as Long Island and also Manhattan. The map above shows a detailed view of the area. The map is also in your book on page 206.
The text is accessible online. Please click this link to go to Chapter 1. I will also link to the whole book in the Important Links section on the right.
Open your English Journal now and copy and paste the questions below into it. We will answer them as we read chapter one.
- How does the narrator describe Gatsby?
- From where does the narrator come and why?
- Describe the narrator's house.
- Describe the Buchannans' house.
- How does Nick know Tom and Daisy?
- Describe Tom. What is our impression of him in chapter 1?
And for those of you working on your homework: 1. Good job checking the blog. 2. Here are the last four questions from chapter 1 for your quiz tomorrow.
7. What kind of person is Daisy?
8. What did Miss Baker tell Nick about Tom?
9. What did Daisy say about her daughter?
10. How is Gatsby introduced in the novel?