I am Joaquin Link to Poem.Read the poem carefully at least twice. This will take you some time because it is a long poem. Write a response to the poem in Google Docs and share your paper with me. Your response should be 4-6 paragraphs. I will be sharing your work with other teachers. Include these things in your analysis of the poem.
- Title- When you first read the title what did you think the poem would be about?
- Paraphrase- Quickly summarize the poem in your own words.
- Connotation- What meaning does the poem have beyond what it says? What larger meaning is there?
- Attitude- What is the tone of the speaker? What emotions is he or she feeling? How can you tell?
- Shifts- Does the speaker change? Does the speaker's attitude / tone change? What other changes take place in the poem?
- Title- Look at the title again. Does it now mean something more that what you first thought?
- Theme- What do you think is the theme or themes of this poem? What is the poet saying? How does the tone, imagery and symbolism of the poem contribute to this theme?