By now you should have your very own (checked out) copy of The Great Gatsby. Please take it out and leave it on your desk while you work today. Also, bring it to class daily.
Before we start reading you need to assure me (and yourself) that you have sufficient background knowledge to tackle this book.
Please take the Pre Gatsby Quiz. This is an "open net" quiz, meaning that if you don't already know an answer I encourage you to go find out. There are a few tricks on the quiz so read the directions and the questions carefully.
ENGLISH JOURNAL ASSIGNMENT:
After you finish your quiz I want you to do some deeper thinking about the questions we worked with on Monday. Choose ONE of the questions below and add it to your English Journal. Write a three paragraph answer to the question you chose. (200+ words) Include examples, elaborate on your thinking. If the question you are answering has more than one 'side' write about why the other 'side' is wrong.
Here are the questions. Remember to choose only ONE.
- Which is more important, love or money? Explain why.
- Do you think you would continue to love someone if you found out that person had lied to you about their past?
- Do rich people have a responsibility to the rest of society?
- How much money would you need to be rich?
- If your boyfriend or girlfriend cheats on you is it alright for you to cheat on them?
- Have you ever wanted something that you could not have? Explain.
- How do rich people get rich?