Good morning everyone,
Last week we looked at a few pieces of literature from the Harlem Renaissance during the early part of the 20th century. Today we are going to take a look at the 1919 World Series ‘fix’. I want you to keep in mind how this event is affected by the time period.
Look through the information on this website and answer the following questions in your English journal:
1. How did the White Sox get the nickname the Black Sox?
2. Who is Charles Comiskey? Describe two reasons why he was blamed for the Black Sox scandal?
3. What is the ‘reserve clause’ and how did it affect the Black Sox scandal?
4. Why was enthusiasm for baseball so high in America during 1919? How do you think this affected the Black Sox scandal?
5. Why would Comiskey post signs throughout the ballpark declaring, "No Betting Allowed In This Park?"
6. What part did Chick Gandil play in the ‘fix’?
7. What happened to the eight players, including ‘Shoeless’ Joe Jackson, who were accused of throwing the 1919 World Series? What is one reason for this outcome?
***Make sure you use complete sentences and go into depth with your responses***